Saturday, March 8, 2008

How We Met...

We met back in August of 2005. I had decided that I wanted to delay my entry into the real working world by taking on a post-graduation internship at the "Happiest Place on Earth". It seemed like a bold move to fly out to Florida, not knowing what would happen once the internship was over.

I had flown in on a red eye with a layover in Miami. Bleary-eyed, I arrived at the housing complex for the Walt Disney World College Program Interns. I was assigned to Apt. 1801. I had five roommates, and I was the second to arrive to the apartment. I ended up sharing my room with a girl with a Kentucky twang.

A few days after settling into the new digs, and getting to know each other a little better, there was a knock on the door. It was a guy from Apt. 1802. At first glance, we weren't quite sure what he wanted or if we should accept the invitation. He was nice, but obviously trying to hit on any female he could. He wasn't exactly what I would call suave, but he was well-meaning. After a little coaxing, we agreed to venture across the hall and meet new people.

Cent and I met because we ended up sitting in closest proximity to each other. I wanted to meet new people and he was friendly. I had to have him repeat his full name at least twice, trying to perfectly replicate "Centurion" the way he pronounced it. (I still mess it up at times.) I can't even remember what we talked about that night, but I guess we left my roommates with the impression that I was totally into him. All I could say was "I was just sitting next to him!" They teased me that I liked him and that we would have little pennies and nickels. I suppose they were on to something...

We became good neighbors and then good friends. Then more than "just friends". And, as they say, the rest is history.

No comments: